After signing a Letter of Understanding in 2019 with Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in, delegates from both the KPMA and TH have been meeting quarterly to discuss issues that bring us together. Last week we joined efforts to present a giant cheque to support some great initiatives at the Robert Service Secondary School in Dawson. The funds will go towards:
- purchasing camping gear for kids to do overnight retreats (once allowed with Covid restrictions);
- instrument strings for music classes;
- an updated bouldering mural;
- an updated hallway mural;
- tools and supplies for wood shop; and,
- an honoraria for metalwork instructors to work with all students (not just kids) in achieving welding education and possibly certification.
As co-funders, we are very happy to see “our kids” have access to these resources at the school, as well as for the great teachers to have the ongoing support from TH and the placer industry. Education is a key component to growth and success in life, and we’re proud to be supporting several different aspects of a holistic and well-rounded education, like music, sports, art, getting out on the land, and the trades.
We look forward to continuing to build our relationship as community partners that care about where we live and how we live here.